We are specialists in saving teeth

An endodontist is a specialist dentist with a minimum of three years of post-graduate University training in treating the diseased or damaged pulp of teeth.

They are registered as a specialist with the Dental Board of Australia, they are not general dentists with an interest in root canal treatment. To check your endodontist is registered, click here.

Endodontists limit their practice to root canal treatment and other procedures involving the pulp, diagnosing and relieving orofacial pain, treating traumatic injuries to teeth and oral facial infections. They are also specialists in apical microsurgery.

While some dentists choose to perform routine root canals in their practice, it’s very common and appropriate for dentists to refer their patients to a specialist in the field. This ensures the patients receive expert treatment and the best possible outcome. This is particularly so for back teeth which all tend to be difficult.